The UK De Facto Visa is also known to many as UK Unmarried Partner visa and applies to applicants that have either settled status or Indefinite Leave to Remain in the UK (Please note that settled status means that a permanent resident is living here lawfully with no time limit on their stay. If you are returning to the UK to settle, your partner can also apply to join you at the same time. The relationship may be a heterosexual or a same sex, but the partners MUST not be blood related).

Unmarried Partner Visa – Benefits
A De Facto Visa & UK Unmarried Partner Visa, does not require you to be married to your partner. This is how it differs from a UK fiancé visa application which would require that your partner must join you with the express purpose of marrying, not allowing your partner to work. A successful UK unmarried partner visa application for the UK allows your partner to enter and work in the country without needing a UK work permit.

UK Unmarried Partner Visa – Duration
UK Unmarried Partner Visa's are usually issued for 2 years. After 2 years is up, the applicant can apply for Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR) or permanent residency in the UK. On some occasions entry clearance may possibly be granted, this allows a partner to immigrate to UK on a permanent basis. Once permanent residency is granted, an applicant can become a UK citizen, this is done through British Naturalization.

UK Unmarried Partner Visa – Eligibility
A UK unmarried partner Visa applies to a relationship of the same kind to marriage. In some countries, this is a legally recognised status. Applications for unmarried partner visas must be able to provide adequate evidence that the partners have been living together in a relationship for at least 2 years. Applicants seeking to apply for an UK unmarried partner Visa of this class must be 21 years old and above and the partner with the settled status in Britain must be 18 years old and above. The unmarried partner visa UK applicants must be able to support themselves without access to public funds. The applicant must plan to live with their partner on a permanent basis. Any previous marriage involving either party, must have permanently finished. Document proof may be needed for this.

Alternative Routes for getting a UK dependency Visa
If you have made a successful application for a HSMP, your partner can apply for a UK dependency visa and must show that they will be living with you. Unmarried partners will also have to show that the relationship has existed for at least 2 years before the application for a HSMP has been made.

UK Dependency Visa

This UK Dependency Visa allows an applicant to submit an application for Indefinite Leave to Remain in the UK (ILR); this is also known as permanent residency to many.

This application is based upon an applicant’s dependency on a person who is already a UK citizen, and who will be supporting the application. UK Dependency Visa has no immigration related limitations on the kind of business a person may engage in upon arriving to the UK.

Benefits Of A UK Dependency Visa
Applicants will be granted leave to enter the UK, They will get the freedom to live and work in Britain without any limitations. Unlike a work permit that depends on a particular job offer. Applicants for this UK visa can make an application for British naturalization as a UK citizen after they have spent 5 years continuously in the country. They MUST have permanent residency status for at least 1 year prior.

Eligibility For A UK Dependency Visa
Applicants who wish to apply for a UK Dependency visa must be related to a person who is present and settled in one of the following ways.

  1. Father or Grandfather who is a widower aged 65 years or over.
  2. Mother or Grandmother who is a widow aged 65 years or over.
  3. Parents or Grandparents travelling together of whom at least one is aged 65 or over.
  4. Parent or Grandparent under the age of 65 living alone in the most exceptional compassionate circumstances and mainly dependent financially on relatives settled in Britain.
  5. Parent or Grandparent aged 65 or over who has remarried but cannot look to the spouse or children of the second marriage for financial support and the person settled in the UK is able and willing to support him and any dependants.
  6. Son, Daughter, Sister, Brother, Aunt or Uncle over the age of 18 if living alone in the most exceptional circumstances and mainly dependent financially on relatives settled in Britain.
  7. Applicants must financially depend on a relative who is established in the UK.
  8. HSMP holders, their spouses, common-law or unmarried partner may join applicants in the UK. If an applicant is unmarried, they must be able to provide proof that their relationship had existed for at least 2 years before the application was made. De Facto visa applicants or unmarried partner visas can be issued to allow applicants to live and work in GB for 2 years. After 2 years, an applicant can apply for ILR.
  9. Applicants must show they can and will be accommodated for in the UK with any dependants without using public funds
  10. The applicant must show that he or she has no other relative in his own country that they turn for financial support.
  11. Applicant's children can join the applicant if they are in the country on a work permit. Dependents wishing to work once they arrive to Britain must have a work permit.
  12. Applicant's partners can join on a fiancé visa. A fiancé visa is issued for 6 months to allow parties to come to Britain to get married. With the exception of the Highly Skilled Migration Program, a dependant visa needs both partners to have settled status. Spouse immigration can be done through a marriage visa.

Duration Of A UK Dependency Visa
There is no time limit on this type of visa but applicants must note that if they have ILR then they should not have spent more than 2 years outside the country.

De-Smoothway Immigration Centre can assist you
We have assisted many individuals in moving to the UK on a variety of visas. Our immigration consultants and caseworkers have a wide range of immigration expertise and experience to assist you to find not only the right route into the UK but the best option for yourself from amongst the variety of work permits and UK visas available. De-Smoothway being a leading specialist in UK immigration can assist you in every aspect of your relocation to the UK, from advice on the initial application process to a range of services to assist you once you have arrived in the UK. contact us today.

Telephone: +44 (0) 7535822012
                      +44 (0) 7861258978
Email :
The Advice Centre is Authorised and Regulated by the Office of the Immigration Commissioner.
Reg. F201000159